Sunday, April 26, 2009

Basic Instinkt








Today, advancing my movie poster calendar, I stumbled over the Poster Artwork for Basic Instinct 2 and I had to notice that it’s a formidable piece of work, far outweighing that for the first. I didn’t give the movie any notice due to the fact that I have yet to see a so called erotic-thriller that manages to be either, so I never noticed the poster when the movie came out.

However, I thought it would be nice to talk a little about poster art (how I miss the days when they made posters to sell a movie to the audience, these days there seems to go too little effort in most posters I see).
Too unfortunate that Basic Instinct proved to be such a disappointmnet, that poster would sure have sold the sequel to me.


The most eyecatching feature about that poster was to me that it's obviously heavily inspired by this famous Femme Fatal of artist Boris Vallejo, who is also known for creating some amazing movie artworks himself (the poster for the movie Razorback springs instantly to mind, or the posters to the Deathstalker movies).


There are other artworks out aswell, naturally, but those didn't catch my interest that much.



We have a poster that directly connects to the first part, but lacks something to me:















I can't place my finger on it, but same as with the poster artwork for the first movie this adavance motive didn't really catch my interest or stand out as remarkable in any way to me.
But that might simply be founded on my personal bias towards the first movie.


And the Christine Keeler version, one of the most copied motives it seems .

1 comment:

  1. It is great thriller plus mystery movie. It's photography borrows a range of angles from Hitchcock... The score, by Jerry Goldsmith, is wonderful... The film is wildly considered a controversial and popular erotic thriller...

    ReplyDelete